Chinese Study Abroad Scholarship
In this highly connected and competitive world, college graduates with global knowledge and understanding and direct overseas experience are very well sought after. Although we teach language, history and culture of a country in a certain course, there is nothing that can compare to the value of first-hand experience and knowledge that are gained through traveling abroad.
However, overseas travel can be costly and, therefore, daunting, particularly for our two-year college students, a greater part of whom come from mid and low-income families. Thus, proving financial assistance to this group of students in this endeavor is important to alleviate the financial difficulty associated with traveling so that these students have an equal chance at direct overseas experience to remain competitive in the future job market.
In addition to the criteria listed in the application, students must be enrolled full- or part-time and MUST show proof of acceptance into a study abroad program in China approved by the Global Education Committee.
To be eligible for this award, the applicant:
• MUST have completed a minimum of six (6) credit hours of instruction at OCC. Transfer credit hours count toward the maximum eligibility.
• MUST be a U.S. Citizen.
• MUST be at least 18 years old.
• MUST be enrolled full- or part-time.
• Must have completed a Chinese language class at a college (e.g. CHI 1510 at OCC) with a passing grade or otherwise demonstrate beginning knowledge of Chinese.
• MUST show proof of acceptance into a study abroad program in China approved by the Global Education Committee.
• MUST have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
• MUST demonstrate financial need as determined by Student Financial Resources & Scholarships.
• MUST submit a one- to two-page personal statement that address the following questions: _What is your educational and/or life goal? What are the specific objectives you hope to achieve through traveling to
China? How is this travel experience going to contribute to your educational/life goal? _
• MUST provide contact information of one OCC faculty member to serve as a personal and academic reference.
• MUST write a thank-you letter to the donor.
Preference will be given to residents of Oakland County.